Tuesday, August 31, 2010

 On-X Valve update

Well, almost at the end of week 10 with the new valve, and things are going pretty well. Had a few setbacks early on, which all resolved pretty well (I'm still alive, aren't I? :) and the valve seems to work as advertised. One of the "benefits" of the On-X was it's reported lack of noise on beats relative to other valves. Initially, it was fairly quiet, but there were several situations where I could hear the 'clicking' fairly clearly; in bed before sleep, in a quiet room, after climbing the stairs etc. Even then it was fairly quiet, to where I wouldn't have minded if it made that level of noise perpetually, it's been a pleasant surprise to hear the valve get even more silent: within the last week, I've rarely heard it at all. I'm not expecting silence, but I can't complain with how little noise it's making these days. Pretty impressive compared to how much noise a lot of the older valves made. As one of my nurses put it "I used to be able to hear patient's valves standing outside their rooms in the hallway." Now, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment